X11 fullscreen

Russell Shaw rjshaw at netspace.net.au
Thu Jan 28 16:06:54 PST 2010

Alan Cox wrote:
>> Forget widget toolkits. They're totally lame wrappers that hide
>> all the useful functionality from you, run like a waterlogged
>> sheep, and otherwise assume you don't want to get anything really
>> nontrivial running this month.
>
> Unless you need to get any real work done - like non western font
> rendering, accessibility (to make your app meet legal requirements in
> parts of the world etc)

One can do all that with their own libraries based on Xlib. I don't use
any Xlib font functions.

> I'm also not sure why you'd want to use Xlib nowdays. I mean Xlib has a
> serial non-threaded model without callbacks that causes apps to block
> on queries - problems you won't have if you hand code the X11 message
> parser yourself in optimised assembler ;)

No way to avoid it. You can't draw on a window until you've waited for
the first expose event etc.

One doesn't need to be confined to Xlib drawing functions either.
Just bit bang to Shm XImages.

Is Xlib thread re-entrant? If not, i may do something about that.