evcalibrate

Tias tias at ulyssis.org
Mon Jan 25 04:16:33 PST 2010

Hey Alan,

On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 10:47:25PM -0500, Alan McCosh wrote:
> A new tool is available for evdev touchscreen calibration, evcalibrate.
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/evcalibrate/
>
> First, apologies to the creator(s) of ev_calibrate.  I picked the name
> without first considering the existence of similarly named software.

I don't think he minds. As far as I know, that project is unmaintained
for some years. The only touchscreen calibration software of which I
know it is actively maintained is xinput_calibrator, and now evcalibrate
: )

> - Evcalibrate uses a very simple approach to determining the filpx, flipy,
> swapxy values.  Only 4 screen touches are required.
> - Written in c++/qt/opengl, quite a few packages are required to
> build/deploy.
> - Support is pretty good for certain ELO, 3M, and eGalax screens.  I've not
> had access to other hardware so beyond those I can't be certain.
> - Some patching of evdev was required to better support the 3M and eGalax
> screens.  These patches are available from the same project site,
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/evcalibrate/
>
> Feedback/criticism is welcome, especially for users of new/different
> hardware.

I'm speaking from my experience with xinput_calibrator:
We seem to have quite a different approach: in dependencies, the way the
clicks are read, maybe even the way we calculate the calibration, ...
I think it would be good to see what we can learn from eachother, to
avoid duplicate work etc.

Kind regards, Tias