per-keyboard user-defined X keymap and keyboard behaviour

martin f krafft madduck at madduck.net
Thu Jan 14 13:44:25 PST 2010

also sprach Peter Hutterer <peter.hutterer at who-t.net> [2010.01.08.1802 +1300]:
> with the above I meant there's no startup option of configuration
> option you can use to change the X Server's defaults. so you need
> to run it after the keyboard was recognized by the server (i.e.
> shortly after plugging it in)

Therefore this needs to be done manually, or with halevt. That does
not really make me happy.

> you need to write a daemon that registers for these events and
> reacts on receiving them. select() is the least of your issues
> there (and strictly not necessary, XNextEvent() will do)

Sounds like a pretty big yak to shave…

> xinput --list --short list all devices currently detected by the
> server. device id is a unique numeric id assigned to all input
> devices in a 7 bit range (with XI2 16 bit but here be dragons, the
> server will probably blow up if you try it). note that device ids
> are reused when devices are removed.

So that's useless too. :(

Thanks for your response. I am beginning to believe that I am simply
asking too much — X.org can handle multiple input devices, but it
does not really make it easy to configure them. Maybe DeviceKit will
help, although given previous *Kit experience, I am led to believe
that there'll be more complexity and less problems solved.

"nothing can cure the soul but the senses,
 just as nothing can cure the senses but the soul."
                                                        -- oscar wilde

spamtraps: madduck.bogus at madduck.net