visual resizing and positioning of displays

Éric Piel E.A.B.Piel at tudelft.nl
Wed Jan 13 02:29:23 PST 2010

Op 12-01-10 21:39, allcoms schreef:
>> With digital monitors you are almost always guaranteed to have an EDID
>> (IIRC, DVI and HDMI require it) which should prevent you from needing
>> to tweak the modeline as the EDID contains the supported modelines
>> from the monitor.
>>
>> Alex
>>

> I have a Mini 10 netbook with poulsbo gfx / HDMI out which runs jaunty
> with the psb driver. I've only tried it on 2 different HDMI displays
> but the display didn't fit on either- I couldn't see my full desktop.
> Does this mean the psb driver is non-EDID aware?
For the info, I've got a mini10 as well (with latest Mandriva). I've got
no problem with the psb driver and HDMI. All the screens I've tried (3
or 4) always worked. You can check the EDID reported with "xrandr
--verbose".

The only problems encountered is that the default maximum framebuffer
size is too small, and there are some artifacts with XV if screens are
positioned horizontally. So you either have to make sure you plug the
HDMI before starting X, or force the framebuffer size like I do in
xorg.conf:
Section "Screen"
:
    Subsection "Display"
        Depth 24
        Virtual 1920 1848
    EndSubsection

Also, the screens need to be positioned vertically if you want to use XV
(eg: watch a movie).

Eric