I don't want my IR handset to act like a keyboard

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Tue Jan 12 18:54:55 PST 2010

On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 06:26:58PM -0800, Paul Bender wrote:
> On 1/12/2010 2:55 PM, Dan Nicholson wrote:
> > On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 2:50 PM, Tony Houghton<h at realh.co.uk>  wrote:

> >> Oh good, that is still possible. Could you tell me how? I couldn't work
> >> out what to do, or even if there was anything I could do, from the udev
> >> docs.
> >
> > It's gone in master (and probably soon from debian/ubuntu). The server
> > just grabs everything marked with ID_INPUT by udev.
>
> As Xorg is not the only input device handler, this would seem to be a
> bug / design flaw that should be fixed before 1.8 is released. If not,
> distributions will need to hack around it in their udev scripts by
> clearing ID_INPUT whenever they do not want Xorg to grab the device.

To add more detail to Dan's comment, the server ignores devices without
ID_INPUT set. Any device that has ID_INPUT set will be matched against the
input attributes in the xorg.conf.d and - if successful - added to the
server. If a device does not have a matching xorg.conf.d section or the
x11_driver already set by udev, it will not be added.

Cheers,
  Peter