I don't want my IR handset to act like a keyboard

Tony Houghton h at realh.co.uk
Sun Jan 10 10:04:35 PST 2010

I've got a DVB card with an IR controller which appears as an input
device. I want my applications to read the input device directly, not as
a keyboard. Among other reasons, it's because I want to use the "OK"
button while mplayer is running, but it generates an "Enter" keypress
which mplayer interprets as "please quit".

After trying various things with xorg.conf which always seemed to have
unwanted side effects, I solved the problem by creating
/etc/hal/fdi/policy/20-ir-input.fdi containing:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?> <!-- -*- SGML -*- -->
<deviceinfo version="0.2">
  <device>
    <!-- Stop remote control behaving like a keyboard -->
    <match key="input.product" contains="saa7146">
      <remove key="input.x11_driver" />
      <remove key="input.xkb.rules" />
      <remove key="input.xkb.model" />
      <remove key="input.xkb.layout" />
      <remove key="input.xkb.variant" />
      <remove key="info.capabilities" type="strlist">input.keys</remove>
      <remove key="info.capabilities" type="strlist">button</remove>
    </match>
  </device>
</deviceinfo>

but it isn't doing the trick for X any more. I'm now using xserver-xorg
1:7.5+1 from Debian unstable. I wondered if xorg is no longer using HAL
because it's deprecated, but what should I do instead?

BTW I was also hoping to stop the IR's power button from shutting the
system down, but I had to resort to disabling
/etc/acpi/powerbtn-acpi-support.sh instead, which also prevents the
button on the case from working.

--
TH * http://www.realh.co.uk