per-keyboard user-defined X keymap and keyboard behaviour

martin f krafft madduck at madduck.net
Thu Jan 7 20:46:06 PST 2010

Thanks for taking the time to respond!

also sprach Peter Hutterer <peter.hutterer at who-t.net> [2010.01.08.1608 +1300]:
> xkbcomp supports -I, but the xserver doesn't provide an option to
> set a custom include path. so your best bet is to run xkbcomp at
> runtime for xkb files outside the default paths.

This is what I do right now, but the question of "runtime" is what
bothers me: what is "runtime" when you plug a USB keyboard into an
existing X session?

> > 3. If (1) or (2) are not possible, then what else could I do? Is
> > there a way to subscribe to Xorg in such a way that it informs
> > me (or calls back) upon configuration of a new input device,
> > such that I can relaod the keymap with xkbcomp and reset the
> > delay/rate with xset?
>
> DevicePresence are sent for each device added, removed, enabled
> and disabled. For servers 1.7 and later, an
> XIDeviceHierarchChanged event is sent as well.

Okay, but to listen/react to those, I need to write a daemon using
select(), right?

> > 4. After I plugged in the external keyboard, I have two
> > keyboards. While the internal one uses my custom keymap and
> > rate/delay settings, the external one has defaults. This makes
> > me think that Xorg keeps these settings per-device. However,
> > neither xset nor xkbcomp seem to allow me to specify a "target
> > device", so that I do not seem to be able to configure just one
> > device, but always have to configure all of them. Am
> > I overlooking something?
>
> xkbcomp -i <device id>, as I said xset doesn't let you do that.

I couldn't figure out what <device id> is supposed to be.

Thanks again,

Escape Meta Alt Control Shift

spamtraps: madduck.bogus at madduck.net