visual resizing and positioning of displays

allcoms allcoms at googlemail.com
Thu Jan 7 02:51:15 PST 2010

Hi!

I have been looking for a tool for visually resizing and positioning X
displays that is distribution neutral. I realise we have xrandr for
listing and changing display resolutions and rotations but it doesn't
seem to offer the ability to visually resize and position screens, a
feature that is sadly missing from the hardware setup menus of many
HDMI displays and I've only seen in a software form for X in suse/
yast's "Graphics card and Monitor" configuration module.

AFAIK yast is GPL so I was wondering why this code hasn't been
borrowed, stripped of its yast/suse dependencies and made into a
distribution neutral, standard X config tool? I realise X isn't
licensed under GPL but such a tool would be fine for most people until
a similar tool was wrote under a MIT license or whatever might be
deemed more xorg friendly.

Thanks!

Dan