Xorg crashes...

Ryan Daly daly at ctc.com
Wed Jan 6 10:47:14 PST 2010

On 01/06/2010 01:31 PM, Justin P. Mattock wrote:
>>> fglrx is the closed-source ATI driver
>>>

>> OK.  That rules that out then...
>>
>> The backtrace is pretty consistent with the following few lines:
>>
>> Program received signal SIGTERM, Terminated.
>> 0x00007f146bab8110 in __close_nocancel () from /lib/libpthread.so.0
>> (gdb) backtrace r full
>> #0  0x00007f146bab8110 in __close_nocancel () from /lib/libpthread.so.0
>> No symbol table info available.
>> #1  0x00007f1466f61516 in ?? () from
>> /usr/lib/xorg/modules/input//evdev_drv.so
>> No symbol table info available.
>> #2  0x0000000000447723 in DisableDevice (dev=0x18a33a0) at
>> ../../dix/devices.c:407
>>
>> Are those lines pointing to a device or to the card possibly?
>>
>> I'm running the same version of Ubuntu on three different machines, and
>> I'm only experiencing the Xorg restarts on one system.  I'm at a loss...
>>

> yeah.. fglrx is specific to
> ati chipsets(but could be wrong).
>
> In your case If you have nvidia
> you probably should be using
> nv, nouveau, or the proprietary module.
>
> if you can does changing your xorg.conf
> to use vesa/vga have the xserver start properly?

Well, my xorg.conf is set up to use the nVidia proprietary module:

Section "Device"
     Identifier     "Device0"
     Driver         "nvidia"
     VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
     BoardName      "Quadro FX 570"
EndSection

The X server will start properly and it allows me to log in.  Sometimes
my session will last hours, other times it will restart 3 or 4 times in
15 minutes.  I have left it logged in without it restarting on its own,
so it definitely appears to be triggered by something.  I can say this,
I'm typing 100% of the time it ups and restarts on me.

I have left the proprietary driver out and still received a restart, too.

This message and any files transmitted within are intended
solely for the addressee or its representative and may
contain company sensitive information.  If you are not the
intended recipient, notify the sender immediately and delete
this message.  Publication, reproduction, forwarding, or
content disclosure is prohibited without the consent of the
original sender and may be unlawful.

Concurrent Technologies Corporation and its Affiliates.
www.ctc.com  1-800-282-4392