small EDID library (possible start)

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Wed Jan 6 02:13:30 PST 2010

I found several issues with existing EDID parsing code for usage as
library in Oyranos (a colour management system).
To move on with a EDID parsing API, I attach a Oyranos header file
for the EDID parsing.
The EDID API is selfcontained and a bit tweaked toward Xorg integration.
But beside that code may look like Xorg to me, core developers might find
several issues. I would like to adress issues as long I get aware of them.

Why a new attempt? There preexists several code since long time to parse
EDIDs data blocks.

That is Adam Jackson's parse-edid.c with lots of global variables and no
library interface at all (2009). That is fine for the intented usage as
command line tool, but unfortunedly not a comfortable base for a library.

Soren Sandmann is mentioned as the author of edid-parse.c (2007). I took
some pices from that. I like the returned structure at a first glace very
much. Unfortunedly the returned structure is quite static. So I was
unshure whether this will be extensible as library. I think this code is
used internally of Xorg for EDID parsing. The API appears to be visible
only to the server and is not exported. Please correct me if I am wrong.

The attached oyranos_edid_parse code is my try on a API. It provides a
very simple interface. EDID is passed as a void* pointer. Results are
returned in a flat structure array. The results are a kind of key value
pairs. The core API consists of only three functions. The returned values
are referenced by a key name.
Additionally a XEdid_s structure is declared only for further parsing
convinience. The parsed items are merely colorimetric and identification
parts. Missed is the timing and the resolution stuff, which can be added
later.

Comments are welcome.

kind regards
Kai-Uwe Behrmann