[Intel-gfx] [ANNOUNCE] Intel 2009Q4 release

Jin, Gordon gordon.jin at intel.com
Tue Jan 5 22:05:29 PST 2010

Stefan Dirsch wrote on Wednesday, January 06, 2010 1:00 PM:
> On Tue, Jan 05, 2010 at 07:42:40PM -0800, Greg KH wrote:
>> On Wed, Jan 06, 2010 at 10:02:06AM +0800, Jin, Gordon wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> We'd like to announce Intel 2009Q4 release package
>>> (http://intellinuxgraphics.org/2009Q4.html), which consists of:
>>> - xf86-video-intel 2.10.0
>>> - mesa 7.7
>>> - libdrm 2.4.17
>>> - Linux kernel 2.6.32
>>> - xserver 1.7.3 is recommended to use with this release
>>
>> I thought some patches on top of 2.6.32 are needed to get the intel
>> 2.10.0 driver to work properly on all platforms.  Or is that somehow
>> not the case and the discussion yesterday incorrect?

Some additional patches are needed for overlay support (only useful for 8xx) -- but it's not 2.10.0 regression. And it's mentioned in the above link.

> For 8xx (845G/855GM/865G) you need to apply the backported overlay
> patches on top of 2.6.32 for Xvideo support, since there is no
> textured video available on these platforms AFAIK.

Right.

> Not sure how to
> enable overlay support on 8xx (default?) or switch from textured
> video to overlay for the other platforms though.

overlay is default on 8xx, as it's the only choice.

textured video is the default on 9xx and later. Users can switch by assigning parameter for media player (e.g. tell mplayer the port number of overlay), or set PreferOverlay in xorg.conf.

Gordon