list for Toshiba Laptop ACPI Extras driver for Linux (was: i915 driver)

Paul Menzel paulepanter at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Jan 4 15:08:15 PST 2010

Dear Neil,

[Please always reply to the list, so that everybody can profit and
answer, and please do not top post. (I adapted it manually.]

Am Montag, den 04.01.2010, 17:48 -0500 schrieb Neil Sikka:
> On Thu, Dec 31, 2009 at 6:03 AM, Paul Menzel <paulepanter at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> > Am Mittwoch, den 30.12.2009, 16:59 -0500 schrieb Neil Sikka:
> >> Hello. I am trying to get the different display modes working with my
> >> portege M400 laptop. Im running 2.6.32 with the toshiba_acpi module.
> >> the problem is that when i do:
> >>
> >> echo "lcd_out:0;crt_out:1" > /proc/acpi/toshiba/video
> >> cat /proc/acpi/toshiba/video
> >>
> >> i get:
> >> lcd_out: 1
> >> crt_out: 0
> >> tv_out: 0
> >>
> >> I am following the guide at
> >> http://memebeam.org/toys/ToshibaAcpiDriver. Why does the state of the
> >> crt_out variable not change? the kernel file where this is handled is:
> >> kernel/drivers/portability/
> >> x86/toshiba_acpi.c. I have the same problem as these guys here:
> >>
> >> http://osdir.com/ml/linux.hardware.toshiba/2003-04/msg00216.html
> >>
> >> I tried doing what was suggested at that link, but that did not work
> >> either. Is there a known bug where the state of the driver (as seen by
> >> cat /proc/acpi/toshiba/video) is not updated by writing to it(echo
> >> "lcd_out:0;crt_out:1" > /proc/acpi/toshiba/video)? It seems that the
> >> state written to this file is not persistant. I have posted my problem
> >> in full detail here
> >> (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-laptop-and-netbook-25/tvout-from-toshiba-portege-m400-777822/).
> >> thanks.
> >
> > is not that problem related to the toshiba acpi driver and belongs to a
> > different mailing list.

Do you know which mailing list i should mail about this issue?

Reading the [1] I would try the following.

1. »Adding questions [to the page] is also helpful.« Edit [1] and put
your question there.
2. If that does not help. Mail the auther directly. <toshiba_acpi at m…>
3. Ask on the list of Linux ACPI [2].

Thanks,

Paul

[1] http://memebeam.org/toys/ToshibaAcpiDriver