Download failure

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sun Feb 28 19:55:32 PST 2010

On Sunday 28 February 2010, paul rogers wrote:
>Sunday afternoon, using WinXP's ftp client

You may want to try it with a real ftp client, that one isn't.  From my
admittedly limited experience, its borked, thinks binary files are text &
helpfully translates them to winders style line endings.

Back in NT-3.51 days, the winderz support staff I had to interface with,
considered the ftp protocol to be nothing but a piracy aid, and wouldn't give
me a straight answer to anything about it.  That was about 15 years ago, and
I doubt their attitude has changed much.  The one copy of XP I ever had, I
tried the ftp client once, and it failed, so I had to assume that as always,
the m$ version was good only for .doc & text files.  YMMV of course.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

I have also been a huge Unix fan ever since I realized that SCO was not
Unix.           -- Dennis Baker