"Screen 1 deleted because of no matching section"

Corbin Simpson mostawesomedude at gmail.com
Sun Feb 21 13:24:00 PST 2010

On Sun, Feb 21, 2010 at 8:07 AM, martin f krafft <madduck at madduck.net> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to make my triple-head setup work with Xorg 7.5, using
> KMS with kernel 2.6.33-rc8. This is on Debian sid.
>
> My problem is that I can make it work such that Xinerama works, but
> the screens are out of order (1/3/2). If I change the configuration,
> X.org seems to delete one of the screens and it all reverts to
> single head. The message in the log is that of the subject line.
>
> I have two Radeon RV280 cards in the system. A Radeon 9200PRO
> (0000:00:0c.0) drives an Acer LCD on the DVI port, and a Radeon 9200
> (0000:01:00.0) drives an identical Acer LCD on the DVI port, and an
> ancient VGA LCA on the VGA port.
>
> I have CONFIG_VGA_ARB set, and the radeon kernel module loads long
> before X.org is started. While the kernel cannot read the EDID off
> the old VGA monitor connected to "VGA-2" of the second card (and
> hence there is anger in the logs, see attached), it seems that KMS
> is correctly set up before X.org starts.
>
> I am using the attached xorg.conf file to drive the setup. The
> reason why I (think I have to) use a configuration file is to
> instruct X.org to address both Radeon RV280 cards in the system
> — without the configuration file, only the second of the two cards
> is initialised, and the display on the first card's DVI port stays
> blank.
>
> The xorg.conf file defines three screens named Screen[0] through
> Screen[2], and the appropriate devices and monitors. I am using the
> "Screen" option in the Device section to address the different
> outputs of a single card.
>
> For years, this used to work just fine, but I suppose KMS causes the
> screens on the 9200 to be reversed. While previously, DVI/VGA were
> screens 0/1, with KMS ist seems that DVI/VGA are 1/0 respectively.
> This might be reflected in the lspci output, where .0 is the VGA
> display, while the secondary is just a "display adapter":
>
>  01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV280 [Radeon 9200] (rev 01)
>  01:00.1 Display controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV280 [Radeon 9200] (Secondary) (rev 01)
>
> If I start up X.org with the attached xorg.conf, the middle and
> right-most LCDs are swapped, and the mouse moves off the right off
> the left-most screen directly onto the right-most, and off the right
> edge of that directly onto the middle screen. The attached log file
> for this scenario is Xorg.0.log.ok.132.gz.
>
> I am failing to rearrange the order. I tried all of the following:
>
> - swapping the "Screen" options in the two R9200 Device sections
>  such that line 56 reads "Screen 1" and line 64 reads "Screen 0".
>
> - swapping the "Device" options in the two "Screen" sections
>  referencing the 9200 devices, such that line 25 reads
>  'Device "Radeon 9200[1]"' and line 36 reads
>  'Device "Radeon 9200[0]"'
>
> - changing lines 6-7 such that for Screen 1, it's "Screen[2] RightOf
>  Screen[0]" and for screen 2 it's "Screen[1] RightOf Screen [2]"

> [...]

Try using Xorg's builtin configuration detection. Bring down X, then
from a VT, do:

# Xorg -configure

Xorg should report finding a multicard setup, and the resulting
xorg.conf should work.

--
Only fools are easily impressed by what is only
barely beyond their reach. ~ Unknown

Corbin Simpson
<MostAwesomeDude at gmail.com>