X.Org Endless Vacation of Code

Barton C Massey bart at cs.pdx.edu
Sat Feb 20 19:50:10 PST 2010

In message <4B807266.8020708 at dbservice.com> you wrote:
> On 2/21/10 12:01 AM, Barton C Massey wrote:
> > The X.Org Endless
> > Vacation of Code was established in 2009 to provide
> > opportunities similar to Summer of Code to selected
> > students on an ad hoc calendar.  Only a couple of
> > students have shown interest to date, and the one
> > student that submitted an accepted proposal later
> > withdrew.  This is probably due to the lack of promotion
> > of the program.
>
> You are right that it's because of lack of promotion, I read both xorg
> and xorg-devel and I've never heard of it. And google shows only two
> hits for 'endless vacation of code' (both are state of the xorg
> foundation reports). Is there a wiki page or something describing that
> program in more detail?

There wasn't, actually. :-)  There is now.

  http://www.x.org/wiki/XorgEVoC

Folks might also be interested in the newly-created

  http://www.x.org/wiki/XorgWorkshops

which very briefly describes the process for funding
X-related workshops and meetings.

The program that eventually became EVoC started out only two
or three years ago as an overflow mechanism for Google/X.Org
Summer of Code students with strong proposals who weren't
funded by Google.  The current incarnation has expanded
beyond that, and you are right that we need to be better
about getting the word out.  Thanks much for the note.

    Bart