Dual-head config broke with update to 1.4.2

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Sat Feb 20 16:12:56 PST 2010

On Sat, 20 Feb 2010 23:07:18 +0100
Florian Mickler <florian at mickler.org> wrote:

> On Sat, 20 Feb 2010 17:40:16 -0400
> E0x <samudhio at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > a so useful thing like the zaphod mode with relatively small users ? in my
> > opinion
> > i don't think that , in my case i used have it for run my media center in
> > 0.1 and the normal desktop in 0.0 so i can still watch my  media while some
> > friends or somebody chat or surf without interfece , i can't do that now
> > because zaphod is broken , with not put a poll for ask if keep the zaphod in
> > some new way ( or the old way ) of just take out it ..
> >

> How i see it, the only way to vote here is with patches. Which IMO is
> apropriate, this being open source software.

This depends on your ability to understand the code.
Although i was the maintainer of the mga_vid driver
(a specialized video overlay driver for matrox cards),
i was not able to fix the many bugs in the mga driver of xorg.
The code was so convoluted that i couldnt even figure out how
it could be working in the first place. Hence i gave up on it.

IMHO xorg (and many other projects) reached a state of
code complexity that makes it very difficult for newcomers
to enter. You've to invest huge amounts of time to even get
an overview how the code works. Making it nearly impossible
to enter for anyone who doesn't have a lot of time which
he can freely spend on coding.

			Attila Kinali

--
Why does it take years to find the answers to
the questions one should have asked long ago?