Board voting ends today, but...

Leon Shiman leon at magic.shiman.com
Fri Feb 19 10:03:15 PST 2010

on Fri, 19 Feb 2010 08:26:30 -0800 Carl Worth wrote:

>On Thu, 18 Feb 2010 14:44:11 +0100, Luc Verhaegen <libv at skynet.be> wrote:
>> Since voting is officially ending today I have cast my votes just now...
>
>I might make one suggestion regarding this point. If you (and a
>significant number of the general membership), feel that there is
>insufficient information available to vote, then a legitimate option is
>to not vote. The by-laws do require a quorum of the membership for the
>vote to be valid. (Looks like the quorum requirement is 25%.)

I do not think suggesting that a member just "not vote" is an appropriate
response from a Board Member to a legitimate concern about the election.
Isn't it the Board's (and it's members') responsibility to ensure that the
membership is sufficiently well-informed about the issues and the candidates
for election to be able to exercise their voting rights. A better response
might be to find out if this was a widespread opinion, and then re-consider
the closing of voting until the membership was better informed?

Accepting membership on the X.Org Board means accepting responsibility to
respond to members' legitimate concerns - if not to anticipate them. And you
asked to be elected.

Leon

Shiman Associates Incorporated
163 Tappan Street