Board voting ends today, but...

Matthias Hopf mhopf at suse.de
Fri Feb 19 08:33:05 PST 2010

On Feb 18, 10 21:45:07 +0000, Daniel Stone wrote:
> * THIS IS ONLY MY RECOLLECTION FROM A TWO-MINUTE SCAN OF EMAIL.       *
> * DO NOT TAKE IT AS GOSPEL, DO NOT RELY UPON IT AS ABSOLUTE TRUTH.    *

Thanks for dealing with this so quickly, Daniel!

> As far as I can tell (and I've not looked hard, because I'd like to
> escape the office early), XDS 2007 cost $US10k for the venue, around
> $US24k for travel sponsorship (no joke)

As long as X.org has enough money I do not care too much about how much
money is spent for helping people getting to the event. I think the 2007
event was a big success, so money well spent.

That said, with the current funding we cannot do the same for another 10
years :-]

> , and something like $US5k lost
> to PayPal (they decided we were scammers and took our money) as well as
> around $US5k that vanished into the Brazilian banking system, which
> gives us $US45k for one conference.

Jikes!
I didn't know it was that much. Now thinking of it I do not remember
what we used PayPal for...

Anyway, I'm rather interested what the Brazilian bank mafia had to do
with all this? I doubt anybody thought these scaming mails were for
real and something to be worth investing?!?

> If you feel this is unacceptable and are looking to assign blame, the
> mail archives back me up that the entire thing was entirely my idea, and
> every single costing and proposal came from myself.

Nobody's gonna blame you, Daniel. You did a lot of the work back then,
and I assume others wouldn't make the same mistakes, but different ones
:--]

I think the general feeling is that the events - well - happened, not a
such big deal, but transparency is severely lacking. I'm writing in
present tense, even though the clouds are already starting to lighten
up.

Matthias

--
Matthias Hopf <mhopf at suse.de>      __        __   __