Board voting ends today, but...

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Thu Feb 18 13:45:07 PST 2010

Hi,

On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 01:33:36PM -0800, Stephane Marchesin wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 05:44, Luc Verhaegen <libv at skynet.be> wrote:
> > There is little to no information about the X.org Foundation Boards
> > financial handlings. Several years ago, several companies (at least one,
> > Sun) deposited a lot of money into the foundation. It seems that the
> > foundation had 222k usd at the start of 2007; and we have 125k usd
> > today. We are not getting many details on how these funds were used, and
> > we only get some very general statements about how these funds were used
> > in the last year. And it seems that nobody on the actual board of
> > directors has anything but some hazy ideas of what is going on.
>
> FWIW a fair chunk of that money went into XDS 2007. If you recall we
> had a nice conference place and X.Org paid for hosting and trip for a
> big number of people (which is also why the event grew so big and was
> so successful, we never had such a big venue before and since then).

* THIS IS ONLY MY RECOLLECTION FROM A TWO-MINUTE SCAN OF EMAIL.       *
* DO NOT TAKE IT AS GOSPEL, DO NOT RELY UPON IT AS ABSOLUTE TRUTH.    *

As far as I can tell (and I've not looked hard, because I'd like to
escape the office early), XDS 2007 cost $US10k for the venue, around
$US24k for travel sponsorship (no joke), and something like $US5k lost
to PayPal (they decided we were scammers and took our money) as well as
around $US5k that vanished into the Brazilian banking system, which
gives us $US45k for one conference.

* THIS IS ONLY MY RECOLLECTION FROM A TWO-MINUTE SCAN OF EMAIL.       *
* DO NOT TAKE IT AS GOSPEL, DO NOT RELY UPON IT AS ABSOLUTE TRUTH.    *
* SERIOUSLY.                                                          *

If you feel this is unacceptable and are looking to assign blame, the
mail archives back me up that the entire thing was entirely my idea, and
every single costing and proposal came from myself.

Cheers,
Daniel