X.Org Foundation Board of Directors 2010 Election

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Wed Feb 17 03:44:40 PST 2010

Hi,

On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 01:05:14PM -0800, Alan Coopersmith wrote:
> Chris Ball wrote:
> >    > expo (the 2U machine) was there originally, and this serves the
> >    > needs of *.x.org fairly well.  The 3U machines were donated by
> >    > Sun and were earmarked for backup, redundancy, sharing fd.o
> >    > workload (including mirroring), etc.
> >
> > Does anyone happen to know the specs of the Sun machines?  It'd be
> > useful to know whether they have enough CPU and RAM to still make
> > competitive servers -- if so, I'd volunteer to install an OS on them,
> > else we might just unrack them and save the money, or buy something
> > else.
>
> From my old e-mail, the order we submitted for then in 2005 was for 2 systems,
> each with:
>
> Sun Fire V40z AMD Opteron 3U Rack Mnt x86 Server:2xAMD Opteron 850 CPUs,
> 4 DDR1/333 Registered ECC DIMMs (4x1GB), 1x73GB 10K RPM Ultra320 SCSI disk,
> 2x 10/100/1000 Ethernet ports, RAID 1,LOM, 4xFull Hght/Full-Lgth 64 bit/133 MHz
> PCI-X slots, 1xFull Hgt/Full-Lgth and 1xFull Hgt/Half-Lgth 64-bit /100MHz
> slots,1xHalfHght/Half Lgth 64-bit/66MHz PCI-X slot, DVD/flpy incl- 2 redundant
>
> plus 4 additional 300GB 10K 300GB 10K RPM Ultra320 SCSI disks to split between
> them.

Thanks for that.  It's not _too_ bad (though still, as I said, my
desktop is faster), but I don't see any reason we couldn't put them to
use as backup/redundancy, with one running as an i386 + amd64 tinderbox,
though virtualisation seems wholly pointless if we can't do it in
hardware.

Right now annarchy:/home is only 15GB, but it was certainly a great deal
more before it all vanished, and I expect it to get absolutely huge
again, which is part of the reason we were reluctant to back it up.
Hopefully it doesn't outgrow our capacity too badly.  (Also, just doing
the backup can bring the machine to its knees for an hour or two.)

Cheers,
Daniel