Remapping Synaptics Touchpad

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Sun Feb 7 14:48:32 PST 2010

On Fri, Feb 05, 2010 at 01:34:58PM +0100, Harald Braumann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, 5 Feb 2010 13:09:43 +1000
> Peter Hutterer <peter.hutterer at who-t.net> wrote:
>
> > sounds like there's a bug with wheel emulation on absolute axes. Do
> > you have the commit below in your tree?
> >
> > commit d6beb16be26df65cd65eaeb146fde0d355521535
> > Refs: xf86-input-evdev-2.3.0-17-gd6beb16
> > Author:     Dima Kogan <dkogan at cds.caltech.edu>
> > AuthorDate: Sat Dec 5 02:05:19 2009 -0800
> >
> >     allow wheel emulation to work with absolute-position devices
>
> This is the Debian Package, and it doesn't seem to contain this commit.
> I've built from git, and this works!
>
> One problem remains though: the touchpad is overly sensitive. It's like
> telekinesis: it already reacts violently when you're still millimetres
> away from it.
>
> The synptics driver has properties to configure this stuff, but evdev
> doesn't seem to have. Is there another way to configure it, or is this
> just not implemented yet? It can't be configured through sysfs, either.

no, evdev doesn't have any specific touchpad features to configure this.
generally, we encourage ppl to use synaptics for touchpads and evdev for
other devices, avoiding the duplication of functionality. your case is a bit
of a corner case, so you fall through the cracks here. sorry about that.

one other option that I can think of is that you set the right edge setting
in the synaptics driver to cover all of the touchpad. (i.e. right edge =
left edge). though I haven't tried it myself, this way any motion should be
converted to scroll. you will lose on horizontal scrolling though (well, you
could set that accordingly with top/bottom too but the touchpad would stil
be divided).

Cheers,
  Peter