Remote X

Patrick O'Donnell pao at ascent.com
Tue Feb 2 06:47:17 PST 2010

>Date: Wed, 03 Feb 2010 01:18:01 +1100
>From: Russell Shaw <rjshaw at netspace.net.au>
>Sender: xorg-bounces at lists.freedesktop.org
>
>Is remote execution of X clients away from the X server still regarded
>as a design goal, or does everyone just develop for client applications
>that only run on or close to the X server machine?

I sure hope it is.  I typically run X clients on a variety of machines
close and far.  It's one of the reasons I like (and depend on) X.  At
the moment I have windows open on six different machines: the local
workstation, one on a LAN, four over a VPN to a data center.  Three of
the latter display at least in part by transferring pixmap data.
Network round-trip latency to the data center is about 20-23 ms at the
moment.