Remapping Synaptics Touchpad

Harald Braumann harry at unheit.net
Mon Feb 1 10:23:36 PST 2010

Hi,

I've got an IBM Thinkpad with a clit mouse and a Synaptics touchpad. I
currently only use the clit mouse for the pointer and I would like the
touchpad to send arbitrary events. For instance, instead of pointer
move events, it should send scroll events. 1/2/3 finger taps should
send key codes that could be bound to actions by the WM or any other
programme that supports keyboard shortcuts.

Is it possible to somehow remap the touchpad events in the input layer
or would I need a daemon, that grabs the touchpad and then injects
the mapped events? If so, does anyone know about such a daemon?

Cheers,
harry