thinkpad button/touchpad problem with recent X releases

Dave Davey daved at windclimber.id.au
Wed Dec 22 15:20:21 PST 2010

I have a thinkpad R61 with 5 mouse buttons, a touchpad and a red button
joystick in the middle of the keyboard.  The buttons are arranged like this:
1 2 3
 pad
4   5

I use this machine with openSuSE 11.2 (and 11.1) before that, and the
buttons and touchpad work as I would expect.  (Button 4 equivalent to button
1; 5 eq to 3; 4+5 eq 2).

With openSuSE 11.3 (and with Fedora 14 and Ubuntu 10.10) I have the following
problem:
	Press and hold any of buttons 1, 2, 3
	Move the pointer with the touchpad (even the smallest possible amount)
	A buttonrelease event occurs

This makes many normal operations impossible, e.g. making a choice from an
xterm menu with Ctrl+button[1|2|3].

The same buttonrelease does not occur with buttons 4 or 5.  It does not
happen at all with pointer motion induced with the joystick.
I also note that touchpad tapping does not simulate button 1 pushing.

I have compiled and installed the synaptics_drv module from
xf86-input-synaptics-1.2.0 and it does not change the abovementioned behaviour
back to that I see with earlier systems.  I have also tried
xf86-input-synaptics-1.3.0, and see no change.

What else can I try?

Dave

--
David F. Davey
D'Entrecasteaux                                       Phone: +61 3 6267 4852
Australia                                            daved at windclimber.id.au