Need help to diagnose slowdown problem

Clemens Eisserer linuxhippy at gmail.com
Wed Dec 22 09:48:33 PST 2010

Hi Samuel,

Usually you won't find log entries about slowdown problems unless
something goes really terribly wrong.

Are you using the proprietary nvidia driver or nouveau?

If you are using the proprietary nvidia problem, could you switch to
nouveau to see if the problem persists?

To really get to the root of the problem, you will have to do some profiling:
- Install all debugging symbolds for the applications involved
(including libc, gcc, xorg, kde, ...)
- When your system runs slow, use a system-wide profiler like sysprof
to see where cpu cycles are spent.

Good luck, Clemens