Reasons for FreePicture to cause "RenderBadPicture"?

Clemens Eisserer linuxhippy at gmail.com
Mon Aug 30 01:04:54 PDT 2010

Hi Michel,

> Pixmaps are reference-counted and the picture takes a reference on the
> pixmap, so the pixmap can't go away before the picture.
>
> However this isn't true for windows, so as soon as the window is
> destroyed presumably the picture is destroyed as well or becomes
> invalid.

Can this be considered as bug?  I just tried the same for GCs and
XFreeGC doesn't generate any error when the Window has already been
destroyed.
Sure there is an implementation detail behind it, but GCs don't show
the same behavour and the whole thing somehow feels quite inconsistent
:(

> If you can't avoid using window pictures, it's probably best to
> make sure you destroy any pictures before the windows themselves.

I fear this would mean major refactoring, but seems the only sane way to go.

Thanks, Clemens