Zapping the Xorg server

Wolfgang Draxinger wdraxinger.maillist at draxit.de
Wed Aug 25 10:13:52 PDT 2010

On Tue, 24 Aug 2010 19:05:42 +0100
Andrew Clayton <andrew at digital-domain.net> wrote:

> Don't worry. It's still there.

In some form, yes. However it can be disabled by

setxkbmap -option ""

Now there are situations in which you don't want users being able to
disable the Zap, but also don't want the SysRq to be there. And and I
don't want to refrain to writing a deamon reading on
/dev/input/${KEYBOARD_INPUT} to kill the current VT X server when
the hotkey comes by.

> setxkbmap -option "terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp"

I'm aware of that, see my original post. The new method mimics the old
behaviour, it doesn't fully substitute it.

Changes like in the default behaviour like with the Zap
Sequence should be well documented. "Well" means: Don't silently
introduce (kinda like when the X server would accept being started w/o
input devices and input device autodiscovery disabled, leaving you with
an unresponsive console). Some people got pretty pi****^ with some
of the changes recent releases brought with them. And frankly: To some
degree I have to agree.

Wolfgang

^: If you understand german: http://blog.fefe.de/?ts=b53326b6