Launching X11 in specified vty ?

Wolfgang Draxinger wdraxinger.maillist at draxit.de
Wed Aug 25 05:58:06 PDT 2010

On Wed, 25 Aug 2010 08:53:57 +0800
Aaron Lewis <aaron.lewis1989 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> 	Sometimes when i upgraded kernel , i need to update kernel
> modules , but i often forgot it totally , so sometimes when i type in
> startx , x11 will hang as fglrx module fails.

If a required module fails to load the X server normally exits leaving
you with a text console. Maybe you've got some fallback script trying
to restart the server with some other settings (Debian and Ubuntu DM
init scripts do this).

> 	The problem is , my system isn't really died at that time ,
> but i can't switch back to another virtual terminal , so it's `died'.

To me it sounds like if the graphics card doesn't get reset properly.

> 	So is there any options , to help me out ?

Well, you can tell Xorg server in which VT to run, the option is vt<n>
(no leading '-' !), with <n> being the VT number you want to use.

But this still leaves you with the problem, that you either need switch
back to a text VT or reset the graphics card.

> 	e.g use a default terminal , vty1 / or some other ways to
> switch back to vty1 when it hangs ?

Ctrl+Alt+F[1-10] doesn't work for you?

Wolfgang