[SOLVE] Re: How to know if a window has a menu , identify by WId ( was `Simple App to get window WId` )

Aaron Lewis aaron.lewis1989 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 24 18:02:50 PDT 2010

Hi Eirik,

On 08/24/2010 01:23 PM, Eirik Byrkjeflot Anonsen wrote:

> Unless I totally misunderstand what you are trying to do, probably not.
> There is no way X can know whether some random painting commands is a
> "menu" or not.
>
> The X server only deals with "windows" (rectangular, potentially
> overlapping areas on the screen), allowing an application to listen for
> "events" happening to that window (mouse clicks, key presses,
> resizes...) and to paint into that window (lines, circles, rectangles,
> pixmaps...).  A "menu" is an abstract concept entirely inside the
> application.

Right , menu's are too abstract for X11 , it only need to handle
paintings and handling events etc.

> Also, "last focused window" may not be quite as easy as you think.  The
> X input focus may not be on the top-level window.  The most obvious
> example of this is any application implementing the XEmbed protocol
> (http://standards.freedesktop.org/xembed-spec/xembed-spec-latest.html)
>
> And on the other hand, the "menu" may be painted in a window which is
> not a top-level window...

Understood.

> (And note that WId is a Qt term and does not exist in X11.)

Oh , yeah , sorry i don't know it's from Qt.

i've uploaded a new package on kde-apps.org , if anyone using KDE 4 on
hte list , and interested in global menuing of course , you could try
the new one , this bug was fixed , i think. Any ideas on global menu is
appreciated.

http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php?content=129006

Source Code are here.

Thanks !

- --
Best Regards,
Aaron Lewis - PGP: 0x4A6D32A0
FingerPrint EA63 26B2 6C52 72EA A4A5 EB6B BDFE 35B0 4A6D 32A0
irc: A4R0NL3WI5 on freenode