startx issue

Octavio Alvarez alvarezp at alvarezp.ods.org
Tue Aug 17 07:11:11 PDT 2010

On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 06:26:19 -0700, narayanaswamy s
<narayanaswamy.s at gmail.com> wrote:

> When i try to run startx in terminal i found error messges, please find
> attachment

That attachment made my day, LOL! Wasn't it actually easier to transcribe
it
to a text editor than to papare and then scan it? By the way, sending 184
KB
instead of ~ 500 B means > 99% bandwidth waste. Multiply 183.5 K times the
number of subscribers to the list. Please don't do that.

Try creating the lock file yourself on /tmp just to check for the error
message.
Remove it afterwards, of course. That should be successful. If not, it
should
give a clue (although from the message already there, seems to be a problem
in the /tmp directory itself). Check everything, existence, permissions,
and
even mount properties in /etc/fstab (if applies), as it might have been
remounted read-only. Retest until successful.

I would have included some commands to help you out, but my PC doesn't
copy text
 from image attachments yet. ;-)

BTW, I would guess you are not familiar with mailing-lists like this one.
I'd
suggest you take a look around for the Netiquette and the mailing-list
rules.
That will give you some guidance on how to ensure overall respect for
others
in public discussion places.

--
Octavio.