Need help: Lost keyboard after xorg upgrade

Michael auslands-kv at gmx.de
Mon Aug 9 23:11:04 PDT 2010

Peter Hutterer wrote:

>> Not sure if this is the same, but I tried using an xorg.conf file
>> (instead of default: no file):
>>
>> Section "InputDevice"
>>         Identifier      "Generic Keyboard"
>>         Driver          "kbd"
>>         Option          "XkbRules"      "xorg"
>>         Option          "XkbModel"      "pc105"
>>         Option          "XkbLayout"     "de"
>>         Option          "XkbVariant"    "nodeadkeys"
>>         Option          "XkbOptions"    "lv3:ralt_switch"
>> EndSection
>>
>> Section "InputDevice"
>>         Identifier      "Configured Mouse"
>>         Driver          "mouse"
>>         Option          "CorePointer"
>>         Option          "Buttons"               "3"
>> EndSection
>
> Since 1.5 or so keyboard and mouse xorg.conf sections are ignored when you
> have hotplugging enabled to avoid duplicate devices. so this config has no
> effect.
>
> Please try adding Option "AutoAddDevices" "off" to your server layout
> section. this disables hotplugging and forces the server to use a
> different driver. If that driver works, we can at least narrow down what's
> going on here because the log looks normal.
>

> Cheers,
>   Peter

Thanks Peter.

I added the Option and now I have no keyboard and no mouse.

Looking at the Xorg.0.log this seems to be explained in these lines:

(II) LoadModule: "mouse"
(WW) Warning, couldn't open module mouse
(II) UnloadModule: "mouse"
(EE) Failed to load module "mouse" (module does not exist, 0)
(EE) No input driver matching `mouse'
(II) LoadModule: "kbd"
(WW) Warning, couldn't open module kbd
(II) UnloadModule: "kbd"
(EE) Failed to load module "kbd" (module does not exist, 0)
(EE) No input driver matching `kbd'

Now, either the driver names have changed or I have a problem in my
installation.

Full xorg.log is attached.

Thanks

Michael