Virtual desktop - smaller than display

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Thu Aug 5 13:42:32 PDT 2010

Bump on this question -- Is there a way to feed a Virtual config that
is _smaller_ than the display size, and have X put the (smaller)
desktop in the center of the screen, with black/white/grey bands
around?

Alex was suggesting modeline fidgeting, but we're on an LCD, and we
have a DCON chip that doesn't play ball with odd modelines. [
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/DCON ]

For the time being, I am working around it with Xephyr, and paying for
it bigtime in responsiveness.

Fuller question and background in the original email below...

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions