Getting crazy over transparency

Aaron Plattner aplattner at nvidia.com
Mon Aug 2 13:15:22 PDT 2010

On Mon, 2010-08-02 at 09:37 -0700, Rashid wrote:
> I dont know why,
>
> but im to stupid to blitting transparent images with xlib. DAMN, with
> SDL was ist quite easy. Dont know if someone want to help me, but im
> trying it since days and getting mad over time...
>
> Can someone have a quick look, why it isnt working? skullmask.xpm is a 1
> bit image. Use ./built für building (make is for cross compiling).
>
> The whole stuff is in the zip archive. I would be realy happy someone
> would help me.

It looks like XpmReadFileToPixmap is producing a pixmap with the wrong
depth, which is being rejected by XSetClipMask.  It works for me if I
change the call to this:

        XpmAttributes attr;
        attr.depth = 1;
        attr.valuemask = XpmDepth;
        if (XpmReadFileToPixmap(mainwindow->display, mainwindow->window,
                                "skullmask.xpm", &skullImage.clipmask,
                                &maskshade, &attr)) {
            printf ("Error reading file (XpmReadFileToPixmap)\n");
            exit (1);
        }