no screens found problem

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Thu Apr 22 12:23:06 PDT 2010

2010/4/20 Gökçe ÖZDEMİR <gozdemir at aselsan.com.tr>:
> Hi,
>
> We are using Montavista PRO 5.0.24 on our Advantech's AIMB-766 model target PC. Its chipset is Intel Q35. Graphics module is embedded on this chipset (Intel GMA 3100)
>
> We would like to run X11 to have graphic support, but when we try "startx" command it is giving the following error (whole log also attached)
>
> (EE) No devices detected.
> Fatal server error:
> no screens found
>
> Montavista PRO5.0.24 has X Window System Version 6.8.2 Release Date: 9 February 2005.
> And it seems since this is an pretty old version it does not have the support for our graphic card module.
>
> We tried configurations for generic VESA and VGA by using xorgconfig command but get the same error.
>
> What do you suggest? Can we add our graphic card support to current X11 version of our operating system, how?
> Or shall we update the x Window system of the Montavista, and how?

The intel q35 is much too new to work on xorg 6.8.2. Probably your
best bet is to get the vesa driver working. Read the output of the log
file to ensure that the Device section referencing Driver "vesa" is
being used. You can also try running the server with -logverbose n
where n is greater than 3 to get some more information.

Updating to a newer Xorg might be a challenge, but newer releases of
the intel driver do support that graphics hardware.

--
Dan