Keyboard

Thomas Worthington tww at tww.cx
Sat Apr 17 10:21:34 PDT 2010

Hi,
     I've been trying to convert my system to hald and I've some issues with
my keyboard. The keyboard is an IBM model M 102-key with a British layout.

If I execute

setxkbmap -rules xorg -model pc102  -layout gb -option ctrl:nocaps

then none of the arrow, home, delete etc. keys work. But if I do

setxkbmap -v -rules xorg -model evdev -layout gb -option ctrl:nocaps

then the system responds with

Trying to build keymap using the following components:
keycodes:   evdev+aliases(qwerty)
types:      complete
compat:     complete
symbols:    pc+gb+inet(evdev)+ctrl(nocaps)
geometry:   pc(pc104)

I don't have 104 keys so I tried

setxkbmap -v -rules xorg -model evdev -geometry pc102 -layout gb -option
ctrl:nocaps

And that responds with:

Trying to build keymap using the following components:
keycodes:   evdev+aliases(qwerty)
types:      complete
compat:     complete
symbols:    pc+gb+inet(evdev)+ctrl(nocaps)
geometry:   pc102
Error loading new keyboard description

and appears to do nothing.

So that's the first issue: how do I get the system to recognize that I've
got a 102-key keyboard.

The second issue is a more general one. Because I have only 102 keys, I've
put together quite an unusual keymap which I've applied with xmodmap up
until now. The most important mapping are:

AltGr produces Meta_R and Mod3
Alt produces Alt_L
Print produces Multi_kry
Scroll Lock produces Mode Switch
Pause produces Caps Lock
Caps Lock produces Control (this one I can do!)

How do I get the xorg keyboard driver to produce these same mappings?

Thanks in advance,

Thomas Worthington