Problems with xrandr using xorg-server 1.8.0 with Intel graphics

Andreas Sturmlechner andreas.sturmlechner at gmail.com
Sat Apr 17 10:21:07 PDT 2010

xrandr seems to be broken for me too since the upgrade to xorg-server-1.8.0 regardless of the kernel version. I'm also using intel
graphics driver 2.11.0, Mesa 7.8.1, libdrm 2.4.20, tested kernels 2.6.32 to 2.6.34 and xrandr up to its latest git repo commit. Unfortunately I don't know how to get any meaningful error message out of it, xrandr --verbose, dmesg, Xorg.0.log are all quiet about it.

All I can tell is that *most* attempts at using xrandr to set a different screen resolution result into the X server simply resetting me back to my login manager.