crash from error from xcb_io.c:249

Jim Ham jimham at porcine.com
Sun Apr 11 14:27:38 PDT 2010

I have an application that uses direct calls to X. This application
worked with a previous incarnation of X (before X.org) but crashes
with the following message on newer versions of X. I've tried 7.4+20 and
7.5+5, both Debian on a x86 machine.

xcb_io.c:249: process_responses: Assertion `(((long)
(dpy->last_request_read) - (long) (dpy->request)) <= 0)' failed

Without going into a lot of detail, here's what happens:

The main thread blocks with a the call XNextEvent(...). A secondary
thread sends a user event to X with XSentEvent(...). The application
immediately crashes on the this first call to XSendEvent with the above
error message. A normal event such as a mouse click generated by the
Xserver does not cause a crash.

XInitThreads() is called before any other X calls. All calls to X are
bracketed with XLockDisplay() and XUnlockDisplay() except for the
XNextEvent call in the main thread. As I mentioned, the app has worked
for several years.

If this is a new problem I can certainly provide more detail. The entire
project may be available via SVN if necessary. There is some custom
hardware, but a couple of patches could fix that.

Jim Ham