X server 1.9 release thoughts

Clemens Eisserer linuxhippy at gmail.com
Sun Apr 11 12:20:00 PDT 2010

Hi,

> The question is whether driver maintainers want to deal with
> non-maintenance changes (like new hardware support) in the stable branch
> of the X server, which will require additional work as they back-port
> things from master.

Was a bit shocked when I heard driver will be merged back into xorg.
When it they were taken out I had the possibility to install new
drivers without upgrading my distribution, I guess that opportunity
would be gone. It least I won't install git xorg just to test intel
driver's RC releases.

For the "we have soo many #ifdef's in our code" argument, well isn't
it up to the driver devs how late back they intend to support xorg.

- Clemens