Smooth scrolling

Max Schwarz Max at x-quadraht.de
Fri Apr 2 11:12:25 PDT 2010

Am Freitag 02 April 2010 19:46:55 schrieb Dima Ryazanov:
> I would love this feature. I'm running Linux on a MacBook, and smooth
> scrolling is the one feature I miss from OS X.
Glad to hear someone else noticed it :-)

I started a repository on github (http://github.com/x-quadraht/pscroll)
and imported a few projects that might need to be changed.
But after becoming more familiar with the X.org architecture I realised
the fix actually might be quite small. I've already modified xorg-input-evdev
to send exact relative wheel motions again, and report the resolution back to
X.org. No change to X.org itself was required.

The applications can identify the right valuator via XI2 and get the
resolution info.
So what's missing is support in frameworks like GTK/Qt, and the change of the
synaptics input driver. The frameworks just need to detect the new valuator
via XI2, and listen to the valuator events instead of the old button presses
(which will still be sent out).

As I'm just finishing another project of mine, I won't have time for pscroll
in the next two weeks, but after that at least a patch for firefox should be
ready, as that is the most annoying occurance of clicky-scrolling for me.
(firefox uses it's own scrolling system, not GTK's)

Max