[ANNOUNCE] xorg-server 1.8.0

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Fri Apr 2 11:18:41 PDT 2010

On Fri, Apr 2, 2010 at 10:03 AM, Keith Packard <keithp at keithp.com> wrote:

>> Can you post the rest of the log? It should be picking up the
>> InputClass settings from the installed xorg.conf.d/10-evdev.conf. See
>> the INPUTCLASS section in xorg.conf(5). They're basically like the fdi
>> stubs used with the hal backend.
>
> Yeah, one possibility is that you have an existing /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d
> directory which will cause the X server to skip everything in
> $(prefix)/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d and thus miss the 10-evdev.conf file.
>
> I'm not entirely sure that using only one xorg.conf.d directory is the
> right plan.

It might be hard to make it do the right thing with the command line
-configdir option, but all that code is pretty goofy and I would guess
not used much anymore. But as long as all the files end up in one
xorg.conf.d, the server will keep looking along all the myriad paths
detailed in xorg.conf(5) till it finds one.

Here's what I think would be more sane (assuming --sysconfdir=/etc):

xorg.conf:
1. For root, full path from -config
2. For any user, /etc/X11 + path basename from -config
3. /etc/X11/xorg.conf

xorg.conf.d:
1. For root, full path from -configdir
2. For any user, /etc/X11 + path basename from -configdir
3. /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d

Export the default in xorg-server.pc:
confdir=${sysconfdir}/X11/xorg.conf.d

Then it's straightforward to know where the right location is.

--
Dan