GMA 4500MHD

Tomasz Torcz tomek at pipebreaker.pl
Tue Sep 29 01:16:40 PDT 2009

On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 01:54:57PM +0300, Stan Goodman wrote:
> At 10:06:12 on Thursday Thursday 24 September 2009, Tomasz Torcz
> <tomek at pipebreaker.pl> wrote:
> > On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 02:48:00AM +0300, Stan Goodman wrote:

> > > I see there only GMA950.
> > >
> > > Actually, what I meant, perhaps out of misunderstanding of the
> > > content of this group, is: Does the xorg-x11-driver-video-intel
> > > package support the GMA 4500MHD graphics card?
> >
> >   Of course, it is supported for many months now.
>
> Many thanks; that is what I wanted to know.
>
> I don't know why it is "of course". It isn't so easy to find out, when I
> haven't bought the machine yet, so there is no way to experiment.

  Source code for Intel driver and Mesa is widely available. Support
for chip you are asking for was added in June 2008:
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/driver/xf86-video-intel/commit/?id=1cfe769c74d1a3a392bf1aaaf5c2dcc8273daf66
  It was noted in 2.4.0 driver release announcement:
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xorg-announce/2008-July/000621.html
which is linked form intellinuxgraphics.org frontpage:
“2008-7-23:xf86-video-intel 2.4.0 released, with new Intel 4 series chipset support,
 improved 965 exa render performance, integrated HDMI support, and SDVO HDMI support.”

  For resolving GMA4500MHD↔G45 mapping you can look into Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_GMA#GMA_X4500

  Hope that clears the confusion.

--
Tomasz Torcz                Only gods can safely risk perfection,
xmpp: zdzichubg at chrome.pl     it's a dangerous thing for a man.  -- Alia