xcompmgr -- Proposal 2: ARGB-window dropoff shadow

Yann Droneaud ydroneaud at mandriva.com
Fri Sep 25 08:48:57 PDT 2009

Le vendredi 25 septembre 2009 à 17:23 +0200, Yann Droneaud a écrit :

> Creating rectangular shadows is a bad things for windows with
> non-rectangular content.
>
> And creating a shadow that match the content shape is not trivial (at
> least for me :): you should take care of "hole" in the window content
> (think of a donut for example: is there a full shadow in the center, or
> only on the border ?)

I'm wrong regarding xcompmgr's shadows.
The way they're made, they are better than, for example, KDE's ones.

See following examples:

xcompmgr without shadow:
https://quoi.quest-ce.net/data/xcompmgr/xcompmgr.jpeg
xcompmgr with shadow:
https://quoi.quest-ce.net/data/xcompmgr/xcompmgr-s.jpeg

kwin with shadow:
https://quoi.quest-ce.net/data/xcompmgr/kwin.jpeg

PS: something is disturbing here ... my test window use an ARGB32 visual
and is decorated with xcompmgr's shadow. So what's the purpose of the
initial proposal. Did i miss another thing ?

Regards.

--
Yann Droneaud