[Xorg Mouse Acceleration is Broken in new Xorg 7.4?] Re: Mouse/keyboard no longer work after apt-get dist-upgrade in testing?

Justin Piszcz jpiszcz at lucidpixels.com
Sat Sep 19 13:17:20 PDT 2009

On Sat, 19 Sep 2009, Justin Piszcz wrote:

> On Sat, 19 Sep 2009, Justin Piszcz wrote:

>> On Sat, 19 Sep 2009, Justin Piszcz wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I have two hosts (x86_64) & (x86) running and after apt-get dist-upgrade
>>> this morning, I can no longer use my keyboard/mouse on either after a
>>> reboot on both machines?
>>>
>>> Has anyone experienced anthing similar?
>>>
>>> On the x86 host it is ps2(kbd)+usb(mouse).
>>> On the x86_64 host it is usb(kbd)+usb(mouse).
>>>
>>> Justin.
>>>
>> Appears to be a known issue:
>>
>> Well here is the fix:
>> http://osdir.com/ml/debian-bugs-closed/2009-09/msg02262.html
>>
>> Quote:
>>
>> The evdev X driver can't work if the CONFIG_INPUT_EVDEV option is disabled
>> in your kernel configuration. You'll have to either enable this kernel
>> option, or disable the "AutoAddDevices" option in xorg.conf.
>>
>> # grep CONFIG_INPUT_EVDEV  .config
>> # CONFIG_INPUT_EVDEV is not set
>>
>> Trying now.
>>

> So this fixes the issue (w/ the kernel config option); to where I can use my
> keyboard and mouse. however, now there is an annoying lagging with the
> mouse cursor, I will remove this and try the AutoAddDevices option in
> xorg.conf
> to see if it fixes it.
>
> I have been using the following mouse setting for many years:
>
> xset m 20/5 1
>
> It no longer works the same anymore either with the new X server (I am
> guessing this is the culprit) however I will try the AutoAddDevices and
> disable the kernel event interface to see if this returns the mouse
> acceleration back to normal.
>
> Justin.

Update again: Without the kernel option, the 'auto' option for xorg.conf
did not work, so my question to the debian-user@ list and xorg@ list is
how do I get my old mouse settings back?

xset m 20/5 1 which I have been using for a decade++ no longer yields the
same results for the mouse cursor, before, the acceleration was immediate
and it stayed the same throughout the cursor movement.  now, when I move
the mouse slowly to highlight text for example, it moves 1/3 the speed as
usual and only speeds up when I move the mouse much faster.

I can downgrade back to an earlier version of Xorg but I was wondering if
there was a proper fix for this problem?  Is there a document on the new
settings that makes it so xset m 20/5 1 no longer yields the same
acceleration/movement etc as it used to?

ii  xorg                                 1:7.4+4                    X.Org
X Window System
ii  xserver-xorg-input-mouse             1:1.4.0-4                  X.Org
X server -- mouse input driver

The docs in /usr/share/doc/xserver-xorg-input-mouse do not yield and
useful information.

Justin.