[ANNOUNCE] libvdpau 0.2

Aaron Plattner aplattner at nvidia.com
Thu Sep 17 15:07:21 PDT 2009

On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 02:48:24PM -0700, Dave Airlie wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 18, 2009 at 4:58 AM, Aaron Plattner <aplattner at nvidia.com> wrote:
> > I'm pleased to announce the first release of libvdpau as a standalone
> > library.  This package contains the libvdpau wrapper library and the
> > libvdpau_trace debugging library, along with the header files needed
> > to build VDPAU applications.  To actually use a VDPAU device, you need
> > a vendor-specific implementation library.  Currently, this is always
> > libvdpau_nvidia.  You can override the driver name by setting the
> > VDPAU_DRIVER environment variable.
>
> Are you planning some sort of protocol for this, like DRI or XvMC has?
>
> having the server specify the driver rather than the client guessing,

That's the plan.  I also want to add indirect rendering at some point.  I
haven't decided yet whether I want to tackle indirect and driver selection
in the same initial version of the protocol.

> otherwise we just end up with the original XvMC unusable single vendor
> solution.

Yeah, nobody wants that.  At least with libvdpau, you don't get
vendor-specific code statically linked into your applications -- apps that
work with libvdpau_nvidia now will magically work with other vendor
backends in the future.  vdp_device_create_x11 takes a Display* and a
screen index and returns a get_proc_address pointer specific to that
device.