Different color depths per head by default?

Michel Dänzer michel at daenzer.net
Tue Sep 15 06:20:16 PDT 2009

On Mon, 2009-09-14 at 03:22 +0200, Csillag Kristof wrote:

> I have encountered another weird thing when setting up my displays.
>
> On X startup, the gradient background image of the login
> screen fills up both screens (as it should).
> On the right monitor (connected to DVI-0), the gradient is continuous,
> but on the left one (connected to DVI-1), large stripes are visible.
>
> Previously, I seen such stripes when I was using 16bpp
> (instead of 24 or 32bpp), [...]

The root weave consists only of black and white pixels, which can be
represented perfectly at any colour depth. So 'stripes' doesn't sound
like something that could be caused by a different depth. It rather
sounds like either the pattern isn't rendered correctly to the
framebuffer or that the framebuffer contents aren't displayed properly,
e.g. due to imperfect synchronization of a digital display to an analog
signal.