LeftOf in monitor section is not completely honored

Timothy S. Nelson wayland at wayland.id.au
Tue Sep 15 04:04:56 PDT 2009

On Mon, 14 Sep 2009, Csillag Kristof wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am trying to set up a dual-head configuration.
> (Triple-head actually, but let's forget that for a moment.)

 	Sounds like exactly what I've been doing.  I'm currently using a
FireMV 2400 hooked to three screens, only two of which work.

> The monitor connected to DVI-0 should be on the right,
> and the monitor connected to DVI-1 should be on the left.
>
> Therefore, I have added Option "LeftOf" "DVI-0"
> to the monitor section belonging to DVI-1.
>
> However, DVI-1 still shows up on the right of DVI-0.
>
> If I execute "xrandr --output DVI-1 --left-of DVI-0",
> it goes where I want it to be, but initially it appears
> of the right.
>
> I have tried replacing "LeftOf" with "RightOf"
> (maybe there is some kind of inversion),
> and I have also tried putting the position information
> to the monitor section belonging to DVI-0
> (setting the position RightOf / LeftOf DVI-1),
> but the results were the same: DVI-1 on the right.
>
> I have also tried to give the position using the "Position"
> option, but that does not seem to work, either.
>
> However, the option is not completely ignored,
> because if I omit it, the two monitors start
> up in sime kind of clone mode, but if the option
> is present, they appear side-be-side
> - but the order is wrong.
>
> Am I doing something wrong? (I have attached the xorg.conf.)
> Or is this a bug?

 	Ha!  That was simpler than mine.  I'm using Fedora 11, and I created a
file called /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/45-FireMV-settings.sh and here's what it
contained:

# Yes, we set the same things multiple times, but strangely, removing
# stuff will make this break.
xrandr --output DVI-0 --mode 1024x768 --crtc 1
xrandr --output DVI-1 --auto --left-of DVI-0 --mode 800x600 --crtc 0
xrandr --output DVI-0 --mode 1280x1024
xrandr --output DVI-0 --mode 1024x768 --crtc 1
xrandr --output DVI-1 --auto --left-of DVI-0 --mode 800x600 --crtc 0

 	So I don't know what's going on.  IIRC, it was simpler when DVI-0 was
the big screen, but I decided I wanted them the other way around.

> Since it can be worked around by executing
> xrandr manually, this is not as bad
> as the twitching image problem, or the random pixels problem,
> or the lack of support for the 3rd and 4th head of the FireMV 2400,
> but still, it is annoying.

 	Also, the VGA Arbiter code (required for multiple GPUs) is (from what
I can tell on the list) accepted into HEAD, and should be in the next xorg
release (unless it was in the last one).  This has happened within maybe the
last 2 weeks, so it won't be in the distros yet.  I know Fedora 12 has this
fairly high on their priority list, so I'm expecting it to be in that.
Because 2 was important for me, but the third can wait, I'll be waiting for
Fedora 12 before trying the third head.

 	HTH,

| Name: Tim Nelson                 | Because the Creator is,        |
| E-mail: wayland at wayland.id.au    | I am                           |