LeftOf in monitor section is not completely honored

Csillag Kristof csillag.kristof at united-consult.hu
Sun Sep 13 18:21:27 PDT 2009

Hi all,

I am trying to set up a dual-head configuration.
(Triple-head actually, but let's forget that for a moment.)

The monitor connected to DVI-0 should be on the right,
and the monitor connected to DVI-1 should be on the left.

Therefore, I have added Option "LeftOf" "DVI-0"
to the monitor section belonging to DVI-1.

However, DVI-1 still shows up on the right of DVI-0.

If I execute "xrandr --output DVI-1 --left-of DVI-0",
it goes where I want it to be, but initially it appears
of the right.

I have tried replacing "LeftOf" with "RightOf"
(maybe there is some kind of inversion),
and I have also tried putting the position information
to the monitor section belonging to DVI-0
(setting the position RightOf / LeftOf DVI-1),
but the results were the same: DVI-1 on the right.

I have also tried to give the position using the "Position"
option, but that does not seem to work, either.

However, the option is not completely ignored,
because if I omit it, the two monitors start
up in sime kind of clone mode, but if the option
is present, they appear side-be-side
- but the order is wrong.

Am I doing something wrong? (I have attached the xorg.conf.)
Or is this a bug?

Since it can be worked around by executing
xrandr manually, this is not as bad
as the twitching image problem, or the random pixels problem,
or the lack of support for the 3rd and 4th head of the FireMV 2400,
but still, it is annoying.

Thank you for your help:

    Kristof Csillag

(ps. reversing the connections does not work for some strange
reason, because if I do so, the RandR output names get mixed up sometimes,
depending on whether the monitors are connected or not during X startup.)