patch: add support for CustomEDID to radeon

Csillag Kristof csillag.kristof at united-consult.hu
Thu Sep 10 17:08:43 PDT 2009

Hi all,

As I have mentioned a few days earlier, I have encountered a Samsung
214T monitor,
which is unable to properly use DDC when connected via DVI, but works
fine via VGA.

I could not get it to work with the Radeon driver, but the proprietary
NVIDIA driver
had an option to force-feed the driver with custom EDID data from a
file, instead of DDC,
so I could use the monitor with NVIDIA.

However, I wanted the Radeon driver, so I have added the same option to
the radeon driver.
It works for me; if you consider this useful, please add to the official
branch.

    * * *

Here is how I use it:

1. Connect the monitor to the PC using VGA
2. get-edid > /root/Samsung_214T.edid
3. add to xorg.conf:     Option      "CustomEDID"
"DVI-0:/root/Samsung_214T.edid"
4. Connect the monitor to the PC using DVI
5. Restart X

... and it work.s

As far as I can tell, there is no other way to make this monitor work
with this driver,
so this is very important to me; however, I am not sure how many people are
blessed with such broken hardware, so I can not estimate the real importance
of the problem.

    * * *

Please let me know what do you think!

    Kristof Csillag