generic touchscreen calibration

Tias tias at ulyssis.org
Thu Sep 10 13:29:44 PDT 2009

Hello,

I needed a calibrator for my dynapro touchscreen. It turned out there
are quite a few touchscreen calibration programs, but none are really
generic.
You can find an overview of the calibration software I discovered on:
http://tias.ulyssis.org/calibration/

In the end, I had to hack up the ancient tkxinput because it was the
only device independent calibrator (it uses Xinput to read the
coordinates). On the other hand, I was impressed by the simplicity of
the calibrator that Soren Hauberg sent to this list in july (thread
titled 'Evdev touchscreen calibration?'), although it was written for
usbtouchscreen driven devices specifically.

I figured that a generic calibration program should be device
independent when reading calibration data, and device dependent in how
to use the data.

I've adapted Soren's calibrator to do exactly this: it reads the current
calibration from Xinput. When the usbtouchscreen driver is used, it
dynamically changes the calibration. Otherwise it prints the new
calibration data in xorg.conf format on stdout. Other actions would be
possible too, like rewriting the xorg.conf directly, maybe even use some
new evdev/Xinput2 goodness ?

You can find more information and the code at:
http://tias.ulyssis.org/calibration/#xinput_calibrator

This is just a proposition towards a generic touchscreen calibration
utility. Comments and remarks very welcome!

Greetings,
Tias