problem getting pseudocolor

Neil Smith neils at ariel.met.tamu.edu
Tue Sep 1 15:24:42 PDT 2009

CentOS 5.3 on dual-boot Apple Aluminum iMac with ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT
card.

If I specify in /etc/X11/xorg.conf a screen0 with depth 8, X11 can't
start up, giving error of 'invalid depth = -1'.

First off, is this video capable of 8 bit pseudocolor in the X11
shipped with CentOS 5.3 distro?

I don't know what the specs are for this monitor ... like horz and
vert refresh ranges, if that even matters in this situation. Does
anyone have an example xorg.conf, or the relevant sections, to get
pseudocolor on an Alu iMac?

Thanks,
-Neil